Art and craft sessions are a frequent but very rarely planned affair in the Incy Wincy household. If I have an hour to kill with Miss Spider, and it’s throwing down with rain outside, then I like to go to my big box of resources and ad-lib a little.
Everyone likes doing different things, and some of the post that will follow will also require extra bits and bobs to get hold of, but I’ve put together a list of essentials that I always keep in:
- A set of primary coloured poster paints
- Black and white poster paints
- Sequins and/or glitter
- PVA glue
- White and coloured card
- Brushes and sponges
- Collage box (all will be explained)
- Wax crayons
That’d be my must-have list. Now, a few ideas of what’s nice to have in but not essential:
- Gold and silver paint
- Lollypop sticks
- Glue stick
- Any spare photos of little ones or family
- Felt tips
- Mixing palette
- Non-spill water pot
- Paper plates
- Googly stick-on eyes
And finally – a few ideas on what you shouldn’t be throwing away! One man’s junk is another spiders treasure . . .
· An assortment of empty boxes – from hot chocolate tubs to egg cartons. Keep a few spare if you can – they always come in handy.
· Sheets of stickers. They’re free with all sorts of stuff these days.
· Old newspapers – great to have one or two spare.
· Plastic tubs. Margarine for example. Great for mixing paint and using as water pots but also good for keeping bits and bobs in.
OOooh – and never throw away a decent messy finger painting! They can be used for a lot more than fridge decoration! (You guessed it – a further blog post will be giving you some ideas.)
These are just ideas to get you started. What would you add? To which list? Maybe you already have a plethora of art and craft supplies and are good to go! Hurrah! Either way, feel free to feedback and stay tuned for Friday’s post . . . our first make! (Something tells me it might be indoor weather anyway.)